Gout: Managing the Pain
Gout was managed mostly by home remedies “back in the day”. Now we are finding the tricks our grandma and grandpa used are of some benefit. They had to use home remedies, because they were available. Today, there are many synthetic pain medications to choose from. The problem is they don’t always work and can have side effects. Nowadays, we are going back to the basics to help manage gout pain.
Here are a few remedies to help manage gout pain:
1. Ice – Ice can reduce inflammation and relieve pain. Apply ice for no more than 15 minutes at a time. Ice in small doses is very helpful in relieving gout pain. More than 15 minutes can actually reverse the good effects.
2. Ibuprofen and other NSAIDS are most helpful in easing the pain, because they relieve the inflammation of gout.
3. Increase your exercise. Range of Motion excises are helpful at least once daily, better if you can do them twice daily. Start slowly and work your way up. Exercise also helps to clear toxins out of the body.
4. Epsom salt soaks are very beneficial. Epsom salt has a variety of uses and our grandparents always had a box around the house. Mix two cups in a container or tub of warm water and soak the affected area. You can even add some scented oil. Epsom salt has magnesium, which helps improve circulation. Magnesium can cleanse the body, and it has a calming effect. Soaking in Epsom salt can almost instantly relieve gout pain.
5. Berries help to lower uric acid levels. Berries are high in Vitamin C and minerals. Eat plenty of strawberries, especially red ones. Also, nuts, grains and seeds can help lower uric acid.
6. Cherries have an anti-inflammatory component and are a popular arthritis treatment. Fresh cherries and cherry juice can be used. It’s safe so you can eat as much as you want. Cherries are known to be low in sugars, as well.
7. Increase your intake of water to between 6-10 8oz cups of water a day. This helps to dilute the uric acid in the blood and helps to flush your system.
8. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Oranges and citrus, tomatoes, bell peppers berries and greens are high in Vitamin C and helpful in treating gout pain.
9. Try mixing 2 tbsp of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and Organic honey and taking this twice a day. It is said to relieve gout pain within hours.
Home remedies are a great way to manage gout pain. They are safe and can be very effective. Just remember to consult your physician before trying any home remedies. With good care, gout pain can be managed and sufferers can maintain a good quality of life.
Last updated byat .